Easy Read Cornwall Council Budget Worth a Look
By chris_wasey | Monday, June 11, 2012, 19:16
Ever wonder what Cornwall Council spend your tax revenue on? Aside from some stadium based scandals in the local paper, it's not often that we take the time to leaf through budget documents with a fine tooth comb. So Cornwall Council has produced an 'easy read' pdf document, which has minimal text,bright colours and lots of thumbnails, making it a less arduous experience.
Cornwall Council office just outside Truro
It is actually a very interesting document, giving the broad brush strokes of an incredibly complex set of figures. While 'the devil being is in the detail', anybody wondering why on earth CC feel it necessary to liberate quite so much money from your bank account each month will find it a decent read.
Cornwall Council Budget
- Budget doc makes pains to highlight that the government has made significant reductions to their grant – forcing savings and austerity.
- There is £460 million to spend this year, made up of...
- Gov grant £217 million.
- Council Tax £241 million.
- Left over from last year £2 million.
Cornwall Council Savings
- £170 million must be saved over the next four years.
- It suggests that £100 million can be saved with 'efficiency'.
Cornwall Council Spending
- Adult Care & Support £134 million
- Environment, planning & economy £95 million
- Children, schools & families £73 million
- Communities £45 million
- Other departments £113
A full breakdown of how these various departments use their money can be found by following the link to the Cornwall Council website.
Have your say.
Do you agree with the Cornwall Council budget? Looking at the numbers, do you think this is the best way to use your council tax?